Structural Insulated Panels
Enter subtitle here
SIP panels are the building material for the 21st Century
Structural insulated panels (SIPs) are a high performance building system for residential and light commercial construction. The panels consist of an insulating foam core sandwiched between two structural facings, typically oriented strand board (OSB). SIPs are manufactured under factory controlled conditions and can be fabricated to fit nearly any building design. The result is a building system that is extremely strong, energy efficient and cost effective. Building with SIPs will save you time, money and labor.
SIPs are manufactured under factory controlled conditions. This offsite fabrication means that your weatherproof building shell can be complete just a few days after the ground works are ready to receive them.
SIP panels are either 142mm or 172mm thick. The panels are typically 1220mm wide and can be as long as 7.5 metres in length to suit each individual project.
SIPs are fabricated using timber from sustainable sources. SIPs use less timber than timber frame and are one of the most economical and eco friendly forms of construction.
The high strength to weight ratio of SIP Panels allows large sections of your building to be fitted at once, speeding up the time required on site for erection. The Offsite fabrication reduces waste and also helps reduce embodied and transport energy.
SIP insulation exceeds the current Building Regulation requirements on its own. The foam insulation has an Ozone Depletion Potential (ODP) rating of zero and has a low Global Warming Potential (GWP).
SIPs, through their strength and ease of connection, offer the designer more versatility than other construction materials, allowing possibilities beyond the conventional, such as sloping roof panels creating an open space that when utilised, properly maximises any building plot.
The result is a building system that is extremely strong, energy efficient and cost effective. Building with SIPs will save you time, money and labour.
The Benefits of Structural Insulated Panels
- Construction times are shorter and labour costs are cheaper
- SIPs panels can reduce installation time by up to 60%
- SIPs roof structures do not require roof trusses, this creates an open and habitable warm room in the roof.
- A SIPs structure is a lightweight shell and therefore does not require a heavy foundation design.
- A SIPs structure is pre-engineered off-site to avoid both the additional labour and the ever-increasing cost of the safe disposal of waste materials.
- Insulation is built into SIPs panels, negating the need to install further insulation during the construction process
- SIPs negate the need for bricklayers or masons
- Heating costs are much lower
- Unbeatable insulation value means energy costs can be reduced by up to 60% over conventional construction.
- SIPs create an airtight structure with no heat loss or condensation
- Manufacturing is greener
- Waste from creating SIPs can be recycled
- 50% less raw timber is needed to manufacture SIPs than with conventional timber frame structures
- The core insulation is polyurethane foam (PUR) which is CFC and HCFC free and has an ozone depletion potential of zero.